Monday, August 18, 2014

Rotterdam Week #2

It rains here sooooooo much. And I still have yet to get a coat. I get soaked, but it's still fun at this point.
I'm so glad you all got to have fun in Florida. I look forward to doing that when I get back!
Those crepe-like things are called pannenkoeken. They are somewhere between a crepe and a pancake. I've had them multiple times since, as Elder Taggart is very good at making them. He's just a good cook all around.


 
Everything I needed? No. In fact, when we went out shopping on Monday, I got NONE of what I needed. I missed sales by a week; now everything is more expensive. With the extra I have I should be able to get stuff now though. I sadly won't have a chance to go today it looks like (I have to go to Leiden to take care of MORE paperwork crud) but I'll try next week. You know me-- I just have trouble spending money on myself. It's difficult for me; it's one of the reasons it took me so long to buy that guitar!
The work is... difficult here in Rotterdam. A lot of people aren't super open to the word. But, it's certainly a labor of love, so we push on through. Understand that the MISSION goal for each companionship is 20 lessons a week....... We had 3. Rotterdam is nice though, and people feed us anything from Italian to Mexican to Surinamen. It's far better than just getting Dutch food all the time. It's rather like British in that it's fairly bland and uses a lot of potatoes. I should be here for another transfer, so you can go ahead and send stuff to the Rotterdam address. In the actual heart of Rotterdam there are 4 sets of missionaries. One set is our zone leaders; they're in Rotterdam south (or Poortterdam). There is us in the center and North of Rotterdam, but we really end up covering most of the West as well because the missionaries there are the Portuguese Elders. They are SO busy with the Portuguese that we handle all the Dutch speaking in that area. Which isn´t really saying much I guess. Then there is a pair of Sisters to the East.
I gave a talk yesterday in church. I thought I was going to wet myself. I kept it short and simple though. People came up afterward, complimented my Dutch, then told me "je bent zo grappig!" Meaning I´m very funny. I guess that´s a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. It's a treat to read your update, Elder! We missed you at the Utah Dahle reunion, but we know you are doing great things where you are. We pray you will be successful at helping the people whose hearts the Lord has prepared. We just invite--He does the preparing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete