Monday, September 8, 2014

Rotterdam Week #5


I apologize in advance for the many spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, and run-on sentences that will come from this, because I am drop dead tired. Yeah, danggggggg.

I got the package! on.... Wednesday, I think. I can´t really remember. Days tend to blend together here. But I would have gotten it earlier, we just weren´t home. The mail system here is weird. They don´t do mail on Sundays AND Mondays, and if you aren´t there to pick up a package (which is very common for missionaries) they either give it to a neighbor, or just try again the next day. They won´t just leave it at our door. 

I have some really cool stories. Most of which come from yesterday actually.

First, we have this new investigator; the one that contacted the office to get a hold of us. We taught her on Saturday morning (which feels like months ago) and said: (Keep in mind this is our first REAL lesson)
Us: "We´d like to start with a scripture from Moroni. He was one of the prophets from the Book of Mormon."
She: "Moroni..... He´s the son of Mormon right?"
Us: "Uh.... yeah. Very good."

Elder Taggart and I were stunned! We didn´t know what to say for a few seconds. How the crap did she already know that? I am suspicious that since we gave her the BoM last Sunday she´s already read it the entire way through.

Second, I gave my first blessing yesterday! We gave the beginning of school blessings to some boys in the ward. Apparently I told a boy that he should get baptized. I don´t say apparently because I made a language error, but because I didn´t really remember what I said. Elder Taggart said it was super cool! So, that´s nice I guess.

Lastly.
This one is super rad--
Elder Taggart and I spent maybe two and a half hours yesterday riding around searching for people after church on empty stomachs. We found some benches along a busy road and decided to rest for a second. We made some calls and just talked about the day for a little bit. We saw a man sitting on a bench a bit away, and as we were getting ready to leave Elder Taggart said we should talk to him. He introduced himself as an Agnostic, and said he wouldn´t believe, but invited us to sit next to him and talk for awhile. We talked about a lot of things and eventually he admitted to us that he wasn´t truly agnostic, because he wanted to believe really bad. He had tried just last week to go to a church. After we finished talking Elder Taggart said a prayer with him. When he finished we looked up and the man was crying. He mumbled something about it being the pollen and hurried off, sniffling and sobbing. We had all his info though, and we will visit him very soon.

Elder Ballard comes on Thursday

I should be here on my birthday, but if not, you´ll know next Monday.

(A few things I would like.
1. Pop-tarts
2. Honeycomb.... there´s like no good cereal here
3. Hair stuff.... so long as it has a good hold and isn´t shiny, it will work.
That´s really it.)

I found myself getting trunky the other day, and I couldn´t really figure out why. Then I realized I had "Chain Lighting" by Rush stuck in my head. I had a really nostalgic moment for a bit with it. Having music stuck in my head has triggered a few instances of trunkiness these past few weeks. Pretty dang weird, because I don´t miss home much at any other time.

Testimony? It feels so strange to type or write one. It always has for me; it´s why I´m not like other missionaries that send one every week.
I guess what I could say best is that I´m living my testimony right now. If I didn´t think this gospel was true, believe in Jesus Christ, have a testimony of the restoration of the true church, and know the happiness, what reason in hell (or heaven) would I have to be here? Exactly! 

I miss and love you all.

Elder Shaw
District Meeting

Elder Taggart and Spider-car

No comments:

Post a Comment