Monday, January 5, 2015

Haarlem Week #5 (mission week #28)

Friends getting married, friends getting pregnant-- I thought that was only stuff that happens to adults! I can't be an adult yet! I was never supposed to grow up.

So much for that! I'm feeling much better today. Still a little stuffy, and a tiny cough, but it's no big deal. I'm having a pretty good time. Got a new suit, and it looks good!

New year's was absolutely nuts! We weren't allowed out of the apartment after 4 in the afternoon. We were frustrated initially, but understood why much later. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! It puts the States to shame. People just go nuts. SO! Elder Silva and I cleaned our apartment, ordered pizza, and freestyle rapped on our balcony while the country went nuts. It was a fun day.

I must say I'm very happy that the holidays are over. People are finally open to making appointments. I'm looking forward to seeing the work progressing here in Haarlem. It's about time, you know?

I'm not sure the best thing about a mission here. As missionaries in the Netherlands we are blessed with many comforts, but the work moves slower. I would say that most people called here are very.... Self-actualized. They know that their personal worth isn't reliant on their baptisms. They get them anyway, but they know deep- down whether or not they are working their best.


Pictures!
Pizza and onesies! (*Mom note-- the family where they Skyped on Christmas Day gave Elder Shaw a Captain America onesie, and Elder Silva a Batman onesie.  They wore them while the Skyped at Christmas, and apparently got more use out of them on New Year's. It's the gift that keeps on givin'.)


"Elder Shaw! Guess what animal I am?!?"

Suits. Aw yeah.


Love you all!

Elder Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment