Monday, June 29, 2015

Hij snurkt echt te hard.

About the title: we sometimes have to stay at the apartments of other missionaries while we're traveling. There is an Elder in Groningen that has made it difficult for me to sleep. Don't worry, not my companion!

We worked in Friesland this week, but before that we had some cool successes in our own area-ish places. On Tuesday we sang for the funeral of a member from Amsterdam. It was kinda high-stress because I had to learn the songs the morning of the event. Needless to say..... Far from my best performance. Oh well, learn from it and do better next time, right? Oh, I also had to borrow a suit that was way small for me from another Elder. We decided the light blue was a little irreverent. I need to go pick myself up another one. The only issue s finding time! I have the money, just need a chance to go do it!

Wednesday we had some time to go proselyting. In just a matter of about 2 hours, we had 5 potentials. We were pretty pumped, hopefully we can have some time to go look them all up. We have trouble with that....

Okay, back to Friesland. I'm assuming most of you have no idea where or what that is. Friesland is a Northern province of The Netherlands with an odd history. They have their own language, Fries (I know, right?) pronounced Frees. Really it's just an odd dialect with a ton of words from other Germanic/Scandinavian languages pronounced really funny. Also, they like to claim that it's the ORIGIN of all of those languages. Mmmhmmm. Sure. 

Also, this entire province only has one branch. So we were traveling quite a bit, but we ended up having a really good time with it. We always do. It was a little strange actually. There was some drama that went on a few places in the North in the church, and since we visit most of the members, we uncovered it little bits at a time. We felt like little detectives.

 
In answer to my mother´s questions:

1. Funniest person of the week was Ahmed, a member in Leeuwaarden (The branch in Friesland). He´s from Egypt, makes ridiculous amounts of food, speaks very broken Dutch, but LOVES the church. He had a Book of Mormon sitting on every couch in his house, had pictures cut out from church magazines hanging on his walls, and ended every slightly gospel related sentence in the name of Christ. It was very cute.

2. No, I can´t drive yet. I´m still waiting for my Belgian license to get processed.

3. I have no clue when we´re getting iPads. Hopefully sooner rather than later. It will make emailing on P-days SO MUCH EASIER. Especially when your companion leaves his keys in the car, and you have to go to the office and beg to use the computers instead of going to the church.

Well, that pretty much closes it up this week. I forgot my camera, so I couldn´t take pictures.

Have a good week everyone!

Waffles, ho!

Elder Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment