Monday, November 16, 2015

"...And you're trying to manipulate people so you can sell mayonnaise."

Elder Conatti and I had a very interesting conversation about advertising and marketing. He said a quote that was too long to send in its entirety, but this was the funny part of it!

Oh my goodness-- this was one of those crazy weeks! We were quite busy. They made a change in mission standards to try and have 23 hours of active proselyting hours every week. Active proselyting means time actually spent talking to people about the gospel-- either teaching or contacting. It may not sound like much, but it has been a very big struggle for many companionships, and especially for us because of the traveling we do. However, we were practicing this week, so Elder Conatti and I were determined to get it. In total, we exceeded the 23 hour goal and we had around 20 hours of practicing music, too. Yep! Take that people who say it can't be done!

So, I hope all of you understand, based on those numbers, why I'm pooped right now. I wanted so bad to just stay in my bed forever this morning.... but yeah, that's not going to happen. Too much to do.

Well, work for the Christmas concert is progressing, I think it's going to be great. Work in Schiedam is still trucking along. We found people in some pretty cool circumstances this week. 

I have to let you all know something. I'm very scared about the attack that happened in Paris. Don't freak out on me yet; let me explain. I feel perfectly safe here! No worries in my mind about any of that stuff! However, people are going to be even more closed to our message than usual for the next little bit. This happens every time there's a report of terrorist activity. "Look at what religion is doing to this world! How can you profess to believe in... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!" That's why I'm scared, because the activity of radicals is interfering in others' ability to accept the gospel. Terrible!

Well, on a positive note-- God loves all of his children! No matter the things we see happen in the world, God knows what is best. Do I know why all of this stuff happens in the world? No. Does it make me sad and ask why at times? Certainly. Do I doubt that God is there and loves us? No. In these times of trouble and pain, I think we need to work to come closer to Him than ever. It's the only thing that will help us.

Well, I love you all. Sorry I don't have pictures!

Elder Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment