Monday, May 2, 2016

One thing I will not miss is Dutch weather. This last week was very frustrating. We've had these really annoying days full of rain for an hour, then clouds and wind and cold for two hours, and then sun for fifteen minutes. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It wasn't the best.

One cool thing from this week was that we went to Nijmegen for Kingsday. I sent some pictures from Kingsday last year, and I have a few more. It´s basically when the entire country celebrates the King's birthday. Wouldn't that be nice? An entire country selling off all the old junk they don´t want in honor of your birthday? "Hey, it´s the King´s birthday tomorrow! We can finally get rid of all our baby clothes!" 

"Man, what are we going to do with this computer from 2003?" "Isn't it the Kings birthday next week?" "Perfect!" 

Yeah, I don´t get it either. Traditions are the most bizarre things. Every culture has them. Wanna know another Dutch one? You congratulate everyone at a birthday party. I mean everyone. "Wow, our friend-in-common is one year closer to death, Congratulations!"

One tradition which I consider pretty intelligent is in almost every Dutch bathroom I've been in...or.. toilet. The bath and shower are almost never in the same room (also not a bad idea). Anyway, every Dutch toilet has a little calendar hanging on the wall. What is on this calendar? The birthdays of everyone you know! What a interesting country. It seems like life revolves around that annually changing number that is your biological existence. They also throw big parties for people that turn 50-- calling them Abraham or Sarah respectively. I think that´s disrespectful to Abraham. He had a full 49 years on you, and that was when he was told he would have his first child! HE had plenty more fruitful years in him. Your 50 pales in comparison!

Okay, comedy rant over. Obviously I don´t have many stories from the week. I have some pictures.

Kingsday crew!

What´s a gathering of missionaries without a self-taken-photograph? (Avoid that "s" word)

Elder Morrel and I got into a little tiffy about the correct way to deconstruct our stand (which was better suited for selling Snow-Cones than sharing the gospel, honestly).
I love you all; have a good week.

Elder Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment